We were in today. Boys are congested. Little Brother has had breathing difficulty as he always does along with any respiratory cold. Could it be the high daily mold count and medium weed and grass pollen count too?
The Boys were playing and feeling better as the day progressed. They started to ask what we were going to make for dinner. We agreed that we should try out the sandwich bread recipe we had discussed making at some point this summer. We thank Quirky Cooking, a favorite source of the type of recipes that work for us, for providing exactly what we were looking for in sandwich bread. Original recipe found here.
The bread baking was an experiment with unknown results; the process of making the bread filled the boys with wonder. I cherish the matched joy in their eyes as the bread was ready to come out of the oven. How would it slice up?, we asked. Would the texture be what we were hoping for?, we wondered. How would it taste?, we thought as we patiently waited for the loaf to cool down.
What you need:
70g buckwheat kernals
60g chia seeds
1 heaped tsp instant yeast
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp real salt
30g olive oil
30g raw honey
250g room temperature water
What to do:
1. Place buckwheat, millet and chia in TM bowl and mill 1 min/speed 9
2. Scrape down sides of bowl and add remaining dry ingredients. Mix 10 sec/speed 6
3. Add wet ingredients and mix 10 sec/speed 6
4. Knead on interval speed for 2 minutes
5. Add mixture to baking paper lined pullman loaf baker
6. Smooth out top with a little water using spoon
7. Let rest in warm space for 1 hour
8. Preheat oven to 344 degrees F
9. Bake for 50 min.
10.Turn out loaf to check that underside is cooked enough
11. Let cool, then slice and enjoy