Saturday, June 4, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

This could be my new favorite go-to dessert recipe. For now it is still an experiment.  I will see what my non-allergic friends, and their friends have to say about it tomorrow morning. And what will the toddlers think?  I really like that this dessert is full of protein from the garbanzo beans, has no dairy, nuts or eggs. I think that parents will appreciate the hidden nutrition instead of the standard chocolate chip cookie.  Oh, and it is vegan (Enjoylife chocolate chips are vegan) and gluten-free(notice that quick oats, not flour is used) to boot! So, this treat should work for everyone, even for kosher families serving a meat meal.  Did I mention that it is really simple to make?  A food processor or Thermomix blends all the ingredients into a smooth mixture in seconds. Allergen remember, if there is a peanut allergy involved, double check with families/host if chickpeas are a problem as well.


I am entering this post just after taking the cookie pie out the oven.  It looks nice and smells good, I wonder what it tastes like.  Not that I'm not already famous for tricking my dad with an old favorite: orange chickpea loaf cake.  It happens to be loaded with eggs and hasn't been made in my kitchen for quite some time now.  This chocolate chip cookie pie has the same goodness of my old garbanzo bean cake but without the eggs and added chocolate chips.  Maybe I should have been adding chocolate chips to the loaf cake, what a good idea!  For original recipe, go to: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/31/deep-dish-cookie-pie/       


*****THOUGHTS AFTER TRYING:  Super!  Great flavor and texture.  This recipe is a keeper and I am sure I will be making it and sharing it often. I think that you could even cut 1/4 cup of sugar, I will cut back a little since I don't like my treats overly sweet.  I was shocked by how much I enjoyed this.  I thought that I was going to just like it, not really like it.  Even with all the garbanzo beans, the chocolate is the most noted flavor for me.  I warmed my piece up a little so that the chocolate would get gooey again.  I froze a few pieces for later in the week.
                                                
What you need:
500 grams (2 cans) canned chickpeas or white beans, rinsed and drained. 
1 cup quick oats
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 T canola oil                                                        
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar (I use Wholesome Sweeteners).  I decided not to cut back on the sugar in this recipe.
1 cup chocolate chips (I use Enjoylife brand)


What to do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add all the ingredients, except chocolate chips, to food processor or Thermomix. Blend into smooth mixture.  Mix in chocolate chips and pour into oiled 10 inch spring-form pan.  Bake for about 35 minutes.  Let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan.  You can make a deeper dish version by using a smaller pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment