Thursday, April 12, 2012

Passover Inspired Anytime Carrot Coconut Macaroons

ready to eat and to take on the go
This is a good time of year to post my favorite coconut macaroon recipe.  This is my first post from our new home in Houston.  I have a lot of thoughts and things to share about major moves with multiple food allergies, but that's for another post. The macaroon recipe is from the April 2010, Canadian Family magazine.  I love these! They are delicious and have just the right balance of sweetness and flavor, I contribute this to the grated carrots and ginger with maple syrup and apple juice and no added sugar. This recipe is vegan and nut-free (coconut is ok for us) but not necessarily kosher for passover.  This is my go-to recipe for macaroons without eggs.  I froze a dozen, they defrost nicely.  It is tricky shopping for coconut oil without worrying about sesame and tree-nut contamination.  I use Artisana coconut oil, http://www.artisanafoods.com/, but please check the label and determine if it is safe for your family. There is a great article on reading labels for allergy information at: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/04/06/consumers-often-ignore-food-allergy-labels/
I am going to make coconut butter with my Thermomix for the next batch and see how these turn out.  But first I have to get a better understanding of the difference between coconut butter and oil. For Thermomix coconut butter instructions, please visit: 
http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2011/11949/make-coconut-butter-thermomi.html


 What you need:
1 cup  grated raw carrots (one large carrot)
1/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup coconut oil (I use Artisana brand)
2 cups coconut flakes (I use Let's Do Organic brand, it's unsweetened and contains no sulphites:http://www.edwardandsons.com/ldo_shop_coconut.itml)
2/3 cup whole wheat flour (I suppose you could play around with types of flour according to allergy restrictions)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp maple syrup (Oh how I miss buying giant bottles locally from St. Lawrence market on Saturday mornings!)


What to do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Line cookie sheet with silicone baking mat
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl
Roll into approximately 24 balls with the help of your children
Transfer to rack to cool, but I skip this part 
I then listen to my toddler scream as he always does when baking: "no oven!" which means he wants to eat them right away


For original recipe, please visit: http://www.canadianfamily.ca/recipe/carrot-coconut-macaroons/

1 comment:

  1. Before I got the Thermomix I was exhausted whenever cooking my favorite recipes. I had to use various kitchen equipment to get the taste that I wanted out of my ingredients. Now cooking seems like a breeze and its as delicious. I’m not saying that once you get it you can automatically cook a feast but the functions that it has is REALLY helpful.

    ReplyDelete