Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Oatmeal Rusks

We recently introduced Baby Brother to oatmeal: "hello, Baby Brother, please be able to eat me without a reaction!"  We started this introduction process with a skin test with his allergist using both the serum and natural oat: no reaction.  I was nervous to introduce oats and barley after reacting to the wheat skin test.  The first way I made oats was a simple porridge using just oats and water.  Then I mixed in a little homemade coconut milk.  He ate a few bites for a few days,  but wasn't very interested after that.  I did make some leftover soaked porridge pan fried cakes that were successful.  I will be posting that next.  From there I wanted to make two ingredient oat cookies; something to nibble on really. I found this recipe and gave it a go.  They are actually made similarly as these oat biscuits I used to make a few years ago. These particular rusks are cooked for some time, yielding a very hard biscotti-like log biscuit.  I like that they are shaped perfectly for little hands.  I didn't intend for Big Brother to like them them more than Baby Brother.  Then again, Baby Brother is at a toddler stage that makes introducing new foods even more challenging. More than actually eating the rusks, Baby Brother reaches for one like he wants it and then just leaves it or throws it at my head.  I'll keep trying, but hopefully not for long before I can try our family oatmeal breakfast cookies with egg.  One thing I'd like to do to improve this recipe is to soak the oat flour overnight before baking.  Do I need to add something acidic like lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, or do you think that water is enough to help with digestibility and nutrition? 

What you need:

250 grams oat 
100-200 grams of boiled water, cooled.

What to do:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
3. Blitz oats in TM, speed 9 for 30 seconds. Scrape down. Repeat
4. Add 100 grams of water
5. Blitz speed 5
6. Drizzle more water until you form a dough. It should feel a little sticky and hold its shape when rolled into a ball
7. Shape into logs, I make around 12-14
8. Make dents with your finger so that it's easier for toddler to hold on to.
9. Bake for 30 minutes
10. Turn down oven to 300 degrees
11. Bake until hard: 45-60 minutes
12. Store in brown paper bag.  I like these.  They stay dry stored this way, even in humid Houston :)







No comments:

Post a Comment