Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Saying Goodbye To Dairy

a warm cup with pumpkin pie spice
After reacting to big brother's milky kiss, we have confirmed that Baby is allergic to milk. Despite, immediate and religious hand washing and face washing after eating, big brother managed to pass along milk protein to Baby's skin via a loving kiss.  I know, very sad to have to police affection between brothers.  

I have to admit that I have been dwelling on what we can no longer eat, the daily dangers of milky kisses and touches, and how truly stressful it can be to adapt to the sudden deletion of a favorite food group.  At the same time, I know that I can handle this challenge.  I have done it before and I can do it again.  Thank you, Thermomix, for being there for me during my allergic journey in kitchen!  I am sure that my Thermomix will be an even more essential kitchen companion now with a   dairy allergy to contend with.  Instead of buying coconunt and rice milk, I will be able to make it myself.  Better ingredients and less cost.  Here is my first attempt at homemade rice milk this past weekend.  I do not necessarily mind the sludge leftover with using just the Thermomix straining basket. Maybe I'm just too tired to notice or delighted with the idea of making my own rice milk.  Perhaps I'll give it a go with cheesecloth next time to get a smoother batch. Here is the link to the original recipe: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2009/06/rice-almond-milk.html 
This is one of my favorite sites for Thermomix recipes and for learning about ingredients.

My version uses sweet brown rice soaked overnight with apple cider vinegar and maple syrup as the sweetener.  I also added in some homemade pumpkin pie spice to celebrate November. 

Another place for instructions and for the good idea of using dates to sweeten: http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/06/brown-rice-milk.html

For an index to many milks:
http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2011/14176/dairy-free-soy-rice-nut-milk-recipes.html 
For how to strain with cheesecloth:
http://www.kerstenskitchen.com.au/2012/07/making-rice-milk-using-thermomix.html


No comments:

Post a Comment