Monday, May 30, 2011

Crazy About Rhubarb

My mom says that when I was little I preferred cranberry juice to apple juice.  I definitely have an affinity for anything tart.  I am celebrating the abundance of rhubarb at the farmer's markets this week with a daily dose of rhubarb compote.  I brought home this long-legged beauty on Thursday and then washed it and sliced it right away.  Looking ahead to days of sweet and tart happiness, I made a batch of rhubarb-strawberry compote over the weekend.  Instead of sugar this time, I used my favorite honey: Staite's buckwheat honey from the weekly Metro Hall farmer's market in Toronto.  The honey imparts a slightly stronger flavor, not necessarily something for everyone. I froze 1/2 cup of the compote to use in breakfast baked oatmeal, made rocket popsicles, and saved a portion to top with vanilla yogurt and amaranth puffs for dessert.  As always, my Thermomix facilitated the process.  The directions below for making the compote are specific to Thermomix and include frozen strawberries.  Knowing what is in my food and eating well makes me happy; with food allergies in the family knowing what goes into food, and good food, is extremely important. 


What you need:
Rind and juice of 1 orange
500g rhubarb, cut into 2.5 pieces
30-60 grams sugar, I used 2 tablespoons of buckwheat honey this time
250g strawberries, hulled and sliced, I used frozen strawberries this time since not in season.


What to do:
Add all ingredients except strawberries and cook for 10-12 minutes at 100 degrees on Reverse + speed soft.
Add strawberries and stir for 2 minutes on Reverse + speed soft.

1 comment:

  1. Is anyone out there still thinking about getting this? Well stop thinking! The Thermomix is one powerful device that is very versatile in the kitchen. Trust me, you’ll realize what I’m talking about when you get one.

    ReplyDelete