Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lemon Tart With Gingersnap Crust


I highly recommend Allergic Living magazine to allergic families.  The Canadian magazine is now available in the United States as well.  The original recipe for this tart is from the Spring 2011 publication.  It is free gluten and top allergens, the idea is to adapt the ingredients to suit your families allergy needs.  I  love anything lemony, especially lemon curd and lemon squares.  My husband surprised me for Mother's Day with this eggless adaptation of a favorite.  I guess that's why the magazine disappeared for a few days and before I could get my hands on it.  That is also why he had folded down pages of my baking books and kept asking me what xanthum gum is and does.  I knew he was up to something that was going to get out of control.  Thank you, Allergic Living, for appearing right in time.  Now, if I could only follow directions as well as he does and have things turn out precise and accordingly.  I always find a way to change a recipe, sometimes not for the better.

What you need:
2 cups gingersnaps
6 tablespoons butter or butter alternative
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup mixed egg replacer
1 1/2 cups hot water
2 tbsp lemon zest
1 cup sugar

What to do:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Set out an 8 inch, spring form tart pan.  My husband used a fluted ceramic tart pan since he couldn't find the spring form without my help.

In a food processor or in Thermomix, pulse gingersnaps to a coarse breadcrumb consistency.  Add in butter until well combined.

Press mixture evenly into bottom and sides of tart pan.  Chill for 10 minutes in the freezer.

Remove tart pan from freezer, place in oven.  Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Cool.

Meanwhile, combine filling ingredients in a double broiler on the stove, over medium heat.  I will have to come up with the Thermomix adaptation for this step.

Stir well.  Continue stirring until mixture has thickened.  That's the beauty of Thermomix, it will do this part for you and free up your hands.

Cool for 10 minutes, then pour into tart shell.  Refrigerate for several hours before serving.  My husband put tart in freezer to help it set.

No comments:

Post a Comment