Friday, May 13, 2011

Thermomix Dark Chocolate Gelato

I really love my Thermomix.  Tonight, when I tasted the dark chocolate gelato made in minutes, I cried tears of love and gave it a kiss.  The Thermomix really does everything. This frozen dessert is the first decadent one I have made with my machine.  I did a lot of searching for eggless ice cream recipes, back when I got my Thermomix, on the Thermomix forums and blogs.  I saved this recipe in my files.  Why did it take me so long to try making it?   The flavor and texture of  was exactly what I was hoping for; it is rich and creamy and not cloyingly sweet.  I wish I had better pictures to share, I took a fast picture and then indulged.   I also am trying to figure out the technicalities, is this concidered ice cream or gelato?  The original recipe can be found at: http://www.stephberg.com/?p=425

What you need:  
 60g sugar (Wholesome Sweeteners)
 200g 70% dark chocolate (check out: http://www.vermontnutfree.com)
 500g whole milk (I used half 35% cream and half 1% milk since that was what I had)
 15g of quality cocoa
 35g cornflour (I used arrowroot, helps prevent ice crystals from forming--not sure when to add though!)
 Pinch of salt
 250g cream
 *Milk – additional 40 – 60 mls


Thermomix Method:
Add sugar and chocolate to the TM Bowl, speed 9 for 6 seconds.

Add, milk, cocoa, cornflour(arrowroot) and salt and cook, 7 minutes, 90°C, speed 4.  Please note that I am just learning how to incorported arrowroot in homemade ice cream.  I think it is best to mix with cool liquid first.  Also, I read that it is best to add towards the end.  Be that as it may, the consistency of the final product was to my liking.

Add cream through the lid, speed 4.

Put TM Bowl in fridge for mixture to cool (1hour) then mix again for 6 seconds, speed 4.
Pour into a shallow container to be sealed and place in freezer.

If reconstituting 12 hours later, add to TM Bowl and blend, speed 5 until creamy texture (10 seconds). Serve immediately.

If reconstituting when frozen hard, cut into pieces approximately the size of a plum, add to the TM bowl, process on speed 6 for 6 seconds, then speed 4 while slowly adding milk until mixture resembles gelato. Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment