Saturday, January 8, 2011

Breaded chicken/turkey cutlets or mild white fish

This is a dinner staple for the whole family.  It goes great with quinoa and mashed sweet potato with a little cinnamon and butter for little ones.  If I make fish, I have to mash it into the sweet potato and hide it.  I like the cutlets with quinoa salad:feta, black beans, cilantro, parsley, cucumber, celery, lemon juice and olive oil.  I find that the quinoa salad and cutlets make a great meal when we invite other families over.  I like that you can omit the cheese from the quinoa salad and accommodate a dairy allergy as well.  And baked sweet potato fries go great with this as well.

My favorite bread for making breadcrumbs is the Organic Spelt Sourdough by ShaSha Bread Co.  I like the breadcrumbs best using just the crust (I sometimes cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and then freeze the crusts separately for making breadcrumbs.  I contacted the company about cross-contamination with sesame seeds and eggs.  I liked their response.  And my toddler really likes this bread toasted with spreadable cottage cheese and a hint of unsulphured blackstrap molasses.

What you need:

chicken/turkey cutlets or mild white fish fillet
quinoa salad with feta,
black bens, fresh herbs and
chopped crunchy veggies
flour of choice (rice flour for those avoiding gluten)
unsweetened applesauce
breadcrumbs or cereal crumbs mixed with salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste.

What to do:

preheat oven to 400-425 degrees.
place parchment paper on baking sheet.
drench cutlet in flour, then applesauce, then seasoned breadcrumbs.
drizzle with olive oil
place cutlets in oven until done, they will appear golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment