Sunday, January 9, 2011

Oat Squares

Made With Crofter's Just Fruit Apricot Spread 
This was one of the first recipes I made consciously avoiding eggs.  I like to vary both the filling and the form: squares, bars and even presented as a "cake" in a fluted ceramic dish.  It was one of the first sweets I made for my child since the ingredients are few and straight-forward.  I often bring these to friends' homes.

The original recipe is from Sophie-Safe cooking by Emily Hendrix.


Made With Crofter's Just Fruit Strawberry Spread 




What you need:
1 cup oat flour (I grind in Thermomix)
1 1/4 cups quick oats (I have also use rolled oats)
1/3 cup dark maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup butter
about 8 oz. jam (we use jam without sugar)

What to do:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine oat flour, oats, maple syrup and baking soda  Cut in butter until the mixture is evenly combines.

Take half the mixture and press in down on parchment lined baking sheet or to fit evenly in baking dish. Spread jam as even as you can on top.  Then top with the other half of the mixture.

The key is to let cool and then refrigerate.  Please wait to cut until completely cold, I do sometimes try to cut it when warm even though it is a bit messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment