Sunday, January 9, 2011

Picklets

Picklets, or piglets as we call them, are my son's favorite breakfast.  I am not sure if it's the texture or the nutty buckwheat flavor.  Also, the size is great for toddlers to hold in their hands.  He gets very excited when he sees me cooking them in the electric skillet.


I discovered a recipe for picklets in both my Thermomix guide and in Judy Blereau's, Wholefood for Children.  You will see that this recipe includes soaking the flour.  You can read more about this in her book.  I then adapted the picklet recipe to suite my son' palate.


These cook up beautifully!


I double the recipe and then freeze a bunch.


What you need:
1/2 cup oatmeal (I grind oats in Thermomix-great since I don't have to store both oats and oatflour)
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
cooking up in skillet
1 cup milk goat milk (we like Hewitt's in glass bottle)
2 teaspoons kefir (we like Pinehedge Farms)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon dark maple syrup
2 tablespoons melted butter (made in Thermomix)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder ( I once forgot to add, and now never use it)
butter for frying.  

What to do:  
Place oatmeal, buckwheat flour, milk, kefir and a tiny pinch of sea salt in a small bowl and combine well.  Cover with a tea towel and allow to stand overnight at room temperature or in the fridge (I leave in fridge always), if the weather is very warm.
Place the cinnamon, sugar, melted fat of choice in bowl and sift in the baking powder.  Add to the flour mixture and gently stir together.
Place enough butter to coat the pan and place over medium heat.  When the fat is hot enough drop batter in pan and flip when bubbles appear.  Flip the picklet and cook for another minute.  Repeat for the remaining batter, adding a little more fat to the pan in between every batch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment