Friday, January 14, 2011

My Favorite Apple Cake

This apple cake is decadent.  It is very moist, sweet and bursting with apple flavor. Everyone asks me for the recipe.   My feeling is that no one misses the missing egg in this apple cake.  


I make this cake in my grandmother's Bundt pan, that makes it even more special.  
(Note: I cleaned the Bundt pan repeatedly to ensure it was clean of egg residue)


The original recipe is from Bakin' Without Eggs.  This cookbook is a must for any family with an egg allergy!  I changed up very little in this recipe.  Play around with the amount of sugar, 2 cups of sugar is normally a lot for me.  I follow this recipe, both sugar and white flour, I usually do not.  I feel like this is a great treat and wonderful for special occasions.


If your child's name begins with "O" or "S", The cake is particularly great for them.  You can make an "S" by cutting circle in half and connecting the 2 semi-circles to make an "S".  


What you need:
1/2 cup canola oil
chopped apples with Thermomix
2 cups sugar (I use Wholesome Sweeteners)
1 cup applesauce (I use unsweetened)
2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 2/12 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
dash of nutmeg (go with your comfort level with nutmeg, lots of questions about this ingredient)
2 teaspoons alcohol-free vanilla
3 apples, peeled, cored and chopped (you'll get the perfect consistency using Thermomix)


What to do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and lightly flour a 1-cup Bundt pan.  Tap out excess flour


In a large bowl, stir in one at a time: oil, sugar, applesauce,flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and vanilla.  Then fold in apples until completely mixed.  Batter is thick.


Spoon out batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.  Bake for about 1 hour or until browned on top and toothpick comes out clean.


Remove from oven and let cool.  When the cake has cooled down, turn out onto plate. Please let this cake cool before attempting to turn out onto plate. 


For more apple vegan dessert inspiration, visit:http://www.chompsoflife.com/post/16710389946

No comments:

Post a Comment