Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pumpkin Trains or Trencitos

Pumpkin bread is one of my favorite treats.  I used to make a breakfast version with egg, and without much sugar, every weekend.  When I discovered that my son was allergic to eggs, I was instantly nervous that I wasn't going to find an eggless pumpkin bread recipe as good as my original. Bakin' Without Eggs had the perfect recipe.  No eggs needed, this loaf bread is delicious and moist.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!  The recipe below calls for a standard loaf pan.  I also like to make little trains, we call them trencitos, for my toddler to take to parties.  This past fall, I used them to make his birthday cake.  I include a recipe for the frosting and link to the train mold below:

what you need:
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I play around with flour mix)
1 1/3 cups sugar (I often use 1 cup dark brown sugar)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (I sometimes use allspice)
1 cup canned plain pumpkin filling (Great with roasted pumpkin!)
1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup buttermilk or yogurt/kefir
*I find that batter often needs more liquid/moisture so I eyeball and add applesauce and or more yogurt

what to do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly butter loaf pan

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add pumpkin, vanilla, oil and buttermilk one at a time.  Stir until well combined, no need to over-mix.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
With an electric mixer, beat 4 ounces of softened cream cheese with 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar (we use Wholesome Sweeteners).  You can add some orange or lemon zest for flavor.  Mix until smooth and creamy.  


Train Mold by NordicWare: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/railway-train-cake-pan/
         ** The kitchen shop on upper level at Toronto's St. Lawrence market sells the mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment