Monday, January 10, 2011

Whole Foods 365 Gingersnaps

When your child has allergies, you bring snacks with you everywhere you go.  It's essential to have on hand snacks (and more than one in case it falls!) at all times since it is often difficult to find something safe or improvise.  We buy a lot of groceries at Whole Foods where they have a good selection of allergen-free snacks; however, it is not always easy since the vegan-or egg-free-snacks often have seeds and nuts.  And there is always the sesame labeling question that haunts me.

The 365 Ginger Snaps are one special snack I feel comfortable opening up and giving my toddler while grocery shopping at Whole Foods.  I like that they are all natural with no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners.  I also like that the ingredients list is not relatively short.  I also like that the oil is specific:  canola oil.  When allergic to sesame, it is important to question "vegetable oil" since vegetable oil is can be an umbrella term for one or several different oils.  The cookies are not organic, but I can dismiss this fact since they are in my ingredient comfort zone.  I usually buy a few bags in the U.S. since they cost at least a dollar or two less there.  Should I contact Whole Foods in the U.S. to ask about the labeling difference between U.S. and Canada.  In other words, should I inquire about sesame cross-contamination?

The package ingredient information reads:  Enriched Wheat Flour, Sugar, Non-Hydrogenated Canola Oil, Molasses, Ginger, Sodium Bicarbonate, Salt, Soy Lecithin.

The package allergen information reads:  Contains Wheat and Soy Ingredients.  Food Manufacturing Practices Used To Segregate Ingredients in a Facility That Also Processes Milk, Egg, Peanut and Treenut Ingredients.

One thing to keep in mind though about my comfort level:  my little guy can eat peanuts and tree nuts.

In another posting, I will share a few gingersnaps recipes I bake.  Those are are sweetened with molasses and maple syrup rather than sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment