Sunday, January 9, 2011

Quinoa Kale Burgers

Vegan does not always mix well with our allergies to tree nuts and sesame seeds.  This veggie burger I found the other day is a gem since it contains nothing we are allergic to.  The best part is that I regularly stock up on the ingredients, which in turn means I have everything to get dinner on the table.  I like that these burgers cook up nicely in my mini cast iron pan.  You will notice the use of  my new favorite pantry item:  garbanzo flour. The nutty flavor of the garbanzo flour gives these burgers a special flavor.  I will admit that the kale was a tad chewy this time, perhaps because I used frozen kale.  My toddler will not touch these right now, maybe after the tenth time I make them?

Please check out the original recipe on http://www.yumuniverse.com/.  Note that my recipe is not specific enough in quantity.


What you need:

2 cups cooked quinoa
2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potato
2 handfuls of chopped kale
chopped garlic
seasonings:  I used salt, pepper, allspice, garlic powder
garbanzo flour (make sure to read label well, sometimes mix with other legumes)
Olive Oil or any other oil of choice

What to do:

Mix all ingredients
Form patties
Dredge in garbanzo flour
Heat cast iron pan
Add oil when pan hot
Cook the burgers

I serve them topped with a simple salad of chopped avocado, feta (we love this feta http://www.ewenity.com) lemon juice with some ground pepper.
browning nicely

No comments:

Post a Comment